Skip to main content

Answering The Question 'What Do You Do For Work?'

How hard is it to answer the question 'what do you do for work?' when someone asks you? It's hard for us aspies to find or hold down a job. People already see those who don't work as 'lazy.' The truth is we want to work, but employers don't want us. Some of us can't pass the interview stage. Some of us get overloaded and quit. Some of us are fired due to or differences. Some of us are bullied off of the job by the NT co-workers.

Notebook, Laptop, Macbook, Conceptual, Cup, Coffee

Remember 80% of us are unemployed. Only a small % of us work. It's rough being in a work that's black and white.

 I mean when someone asks you about your occupation, what do you tell them? You're unemployed because of autism, you can't hold down a job?

Do you lie in fear you will be judged and shamed? I told a 'friend' I could not work due to my disorders, my old doc even felt I would struggle to hold down work. She acted like she knew about me, judged me. She just assumed I have 'poor' skills. She knows nothing really. I could have been fired from 10 jobs because of my autism and it was decided I just could not work. A medical professional told me I would not be able to work due to my disorders. This person is just a barbie doll on the internet judging something she doesn't know Jack about.

Just because you know people with disabilities who work doesn't mean everyone is that lucky. I couldn't find a job. Went through a program that did nothing to help me. I found some cryptocurrency blogging sites and steadily trying to build that because my folks struggle to make it. They only get a check once a month.

My 'friend' also said that YouTube isn't a 'real' job and to 'get a real job.' Why the hell do people think the only real jobs are there are being a 9 to 5 slave? This isn't trying to slam people who work 9 to 5. That isn't the only thing you can do. Some of those 'real' jobs are going away and they will only continue to disappear. It will only get worse. If the market favors YouTubers, bloggers, streamers that will happen. Get used to it.

I decided last year to work towards self-employment because I feel it is best for me. I feel it's best to work from home where I am at ease than to have to mask in a NT world.

I mean you can just say you have tried finding a job with no luck so you are going to school for X. You're doing chores for your parents to help them out somehow.

It is rough having an invisible disorder. Very rough. If people wanna judge let them. They will be singing a different tune if it was them or someone they know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jobs That Are NOT For Adults With Autism

I made a blog article on jobs that would work for adults with autism. However, I think we should cover the jobs that you should avoid if you are on the autism spectrum. This is just my 2 cents. Everyone is different. ~ Image is from Pixabay.com It's rough for people with autism to find steady employment. It's important that you avoid these jobs. Most people with autism have poor short term memory. I am one of these people. I have issues with high demand jobs that call for you to remember a lot of things.  I don't know about you, I cannot handle several tasks at the same time. I am a one at a time person. Do this then move on to the next task when I am done. Retail/Fast-food People on the autism spectrum should avoid retail/fast-food jobs. In fast-food, chances are you will be given several tasks at once. That would be too demanding on me because I need time to process, adjust, etc.  Same with retail like grocery stores. You may be given several tasks to do at one t

Travel Diaries, Jericho AR 2019 [Part 2]// blog everyday in september day 23

This blog will have different phots. I have to make several parts because I took so many photos. These photos are from my sudden trip down south. I said it was sudden because it was unplanned and unexpected. One of my aunts passed and the folks down south planned the funeral LITERALLY the week after my aunt died leaving me and my grandpa little time to get down there, save up enough money, etc. These photos will be in the order that I found them in, or gathered them in. Here are some photos crossing the Miss River. This was on the way back. it was too dark to get any photos on the way there. And when I go down south in a few weeks it will be too dark then to get any photos.  Since the next time I go, it will be at midnight.  If it will be midnight maybe I can get some dawn photos! Let's put it that way. The river looks so high. it looks like it's not even that far from the bridge.  Honestly, the bridge and water does not look too far from my angle!

I'm Writing My First Book About Autism!

I have thought long and hard about writing a book about autism. I feel people already write a book about how autism affects their life. I thought. How can I stick out from the crowd? I think that I will stick out if I talk about autism and employment. It's extremely hard for us in the workplace. It's irritating hearing 'get a job.' Don't you wish people knew it's not that simple for you? Also, this book can provide more insights. Perhaps if someone picks up and read it, get a better understanding of how we struggle. That person can help us. Someone can go 'hum, the workplace does look like hell just by how this person explains it. I know a few programmers looking for testers and this will be great for these individuals.' Things need to change. It's unacceptable that so many adults with autism are unemployed/underemployed. It's unacceptable that employers cannot simply create a job that we can perform better. By writing this book this provides m