Skip to main content

I'm Chasing After The Wrong Jobs

I previously posted about a stressful job program that I went through. My impression was that they help you find jobs within your skill set. As an adult with autism, I have to find a job like trying on shoes at the store. You have to make sure the shoe fits before you buy it. That's what I am doing. I have been chasing after jobs my mom wants me to get vs a job that's best for me, that fits me.
Boy, Beach, Chasing Birds, Joy, Fun, Child, Sea

My mom wants me in retail. She is always pushing it on me. 'Work at Walmart' 'See if X is hiring.'  I felt pressured into the trap. I stopped to think that it's more about what my mom wants than what I want. I am more likely to not get bored with it quicker if it's something I truly want. Retail jobs are dying, believe it or not. Every self-checkout lane put it or a self-order machine like at Mcdonald's, that one person out of a job or one job that's dead. People don't make enough money to live working retail. Why chase after a job that will barely allow me to afford rent, food, etc? Instead, chase after something that can help you afford to live. I decided to work from home because it's better for my mental health and after several failed attempts to find employment. My mom would not accept my wish. She wants me to socialize and think the only way to do that is to work retail. She wants me to get out and think a job is the only way. If I am too deep into autism burn out from the job, I will be in the house all the time.

This is not saying I am too good for retail. This is not saying I'm too good to work 9-5. I am just saying I need to stop chasing after these jobs that barely pay and chase after something that can help me grow. I have cryptocurrency blogs that draw in money. I just need to come up with a good system for trading. I found a site called Medium where you can make money on your content. I found a video sharing platform like YT. All of these doors opened up. I know I can't expect to be rich right off the bat. It will time and effort like anything else.

Tomorrow, every Jewel nationwide can close down, that's a job that's gone. At any moment you can be fired or laid off. What if you cannot find another job before you owe bills or rent? If I work from home and don't rely on one platform, I have another source to hold me over.

I realized that my mom isn't in my head. I am. If retail would be too draining on me, that's that. If I want something where I can always move if I have to, that's that. If being around so many people will make me anxious and I want something where I can not in crowds, that's that. Schools need to stop telling kids they will end up working at Mcdonald's if they don't go to college. Instead, teach kids other ways they can make it if college doesn't work out. What if I told you someone can go to college and still end up in fast-food because they lack the high expectations of the employers?

I need to stop chasing after what people want me to do and what I feel is best for me. If working from home can allow me to give myself a much-needed break, I will do that. Work smart, not hard. Just because someone isn't doing back-breaking work doesn't mean it's not a job.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jobs That Are NOT For Adults With Autism

I made a blog article on jobs that would work for adults with autism. However, I think we should cover the jobs that you should avoid if you are on the autism spectrum. This is just my 2 cents. Everyone is different. ~ Image is from Pixabay.com It's rough for people with autism to find steady employment. It's important that you avoid these jobs. Most people with autism have poor short term memory. I am one of these people. I have issues with high demand jobs that call for you to remember a lot of things.  I don't know about you, I cannot handle several tasks at the same time. I am a one at a time person. Do this then move on to the next task when I am done. Retail/Fast-food People on the autism spectrum should avoid retail/fast-food jobs. In fast-food, chances are you will be given several tasks at once. That would be too demanding on me because I need time to process, adjust, etc.  Same with retail like grocery stores. You may be given several tasks to do at one t

Travel Diaries, Jericho AR 2019 [Part 2]// blog everyday in september day 23

This blog will have different phots. I have to make several parts because I took so many photos. These photos are from my sudden trip down south. I said it was sudden because it was unplanned and unexpected. One of my aunts passed and the folks down south planned the funeral LITERALLY the week after my aunt died leaving me and my grandpa little time to get down there, save up enough money, etc. These photos will be in the order that I found them in, or gathered them in. Here are some photos crossing the Miss River. This was on the way back. it was too dark to get any photos on the way there. And when I go down south in a few weeks it will be too dark then to get any photos.  Since the next time I go, it will be at midnight.  If it will be midnight maybe I can get some dawn photos! Let's put it that way. The river looks so high. it looks like it's not even that far from the bridge.  Honestly, the bridge and water does not look too far from my angle!

I'm Writing My First Book About Autism!

I have thought long and hard about writing a book about autism. I feel people already write a book about how autism affects their life. I thought. How can I stick out from the crowd? I think that I will stick out if I talk about autism and employment. It's extremely hard for us in the workplace. It's irritating hearing 'get a job.' Don't you wish people knew it's not that simple for you? Also, this book can provide more insights. Perhaps if someone picks up and read it, get a better understanding of how we struggle. That person can help us. Someone can go 'hum, the workplace does look like hell just by how this person explains it. I know a few programmers looking for testers and this will be great for these individuals.' Things need to change. It's unacceptable that so many adults with autism are unemployed/underemployed. It's unacceptable that employers cannot simply create a job that we can perform better. By writing this book this provides m