Skip to main content

How The Lack Of Details On An Assignment Nearly Got Me In Trouble At School

I will explain how a teacher giving vague details on an assignment could have gotten me into trouble at school. I have explained that with us, you need to be direct and the teacher was not direct on an assignment that she gave us. Which landed me in the dean's office.  It's extremely important you are direct and explicit with your instructions when it comes to us.


I took a creative writing class. Our regular teacher was on maternity leave. So we had a sub. The sub was a teacher already at the school. She gave us a task to write a story about a protagonist and an antagonist. There were no rules on what we couldn't write about. If you don't give any rules, I will think I can write freely. The teacher did not specify what we could not write about.

I made my paper based on "The Purge." I kept the same plot but made my own story. I finished my paper before class ended, and turned it in and went to the bus and went home as always. Around 6 o'clock, my mom got a call, she called me into the living room, not telling me what she wanted. I was in the middle of chatting with a friend in another country. She had told me she got a call from the social worker about my paper. The teacher should have set some rules as to what we should not write about. If there are no rules, I will assume you will accept anything as long as it isn't about hate speech or something.

That impulsive action to report me to the dean sent me into a sensory problem. I had no understanding as to why the teacher reported my paper. The Purge didn't happen and it never will. I didn't understand why the teacher freaked out over a fictional movie. I felt like as a writing teacher, she should know fiction from non-fiction. I would have understood if I wrote about something scary that happened. Why freak out over a fictional story?

I would have had a better understanding if the teacher had of e-mailed me regarding her questions about the paper or addressing any confusions I may have had when she gave the assignment. Reporting my paper to the school social worker AND the dean and calling my mom just gave me anxiety as I didn't understand why it happened. As an aspie, I will fail to understand how my paper could have been seen by someone else.

I feel the who thing could have been avoided if the teacher was more clear on the rules when the assignment was given. The dean called me to the office when I got to school the next morning while I was in Chemistry. I explained to the dean it was meant to be fictional. It could have been worse if the dean didn't think there was a misunderstanding.

It's unclear if the teacher was aware that I am autistic and needed explicit instructions. My teachers were aware I had an IEP. I am not sure if the sub knew ( I don't think she did if she had to report my paper). This is why if your student changes teachers, it's important to inform that new teacher of the needs the student needs. Or keep some info handy if the teacher has a sub then the info is handy for the sub. Teachers don't know if they will be sick or if their kids get sick. Which is why if you're a teacher and have a special needs student keep some info handy in the invent that you will have to call a sub and you can leave on the lesson plan 'Joe has a learning disability I e-mailed you information about his needs.' If this is allowed. I think it doesn't break anything just telling the sub that Joe needs extra time on a test or he needs the test read allowed. It's important you get someone who knows about autism or other learning disorders. If the sub was made aware I had autism, the who mess could have been avoided. You may be asking why I didn't tell the teacher if she didn't know. The teacher may not have believed me, sometimes kids lie. It would have been up to the school to inform the sub of my needs.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jobs That Are NOT For Adults With Autism

I made a blog article on jobs that would work for adults with autism. However, I think we should cover the jobs that you should avoid if you are on the autism spectrum. This is just my 2 cents. Everyone is different. ~ Image is from Pixabay.com It's rough for people with autism to find steady employment. It's important that you avoid these jobs. Most people with autism have poor short term memory. I am one of these people. I have issues with high demand jobs that call for you to remember a lot of things.  I don't know about you, I cannot handle several tasks at the same time. I am a one at a time person. Do this then move on to the next task when I am done. Retail/Fast-food People on the autism spectrum should avoid retail/fast-food jobs. In fast-food, chances are you will be given several tasks at once. That would be too demanding on me because I need time to process, adjust, etc.  Same with retail like grocery stores. You may be given several tasks to do at one t

Travel Diaries, Jericho AR 2019 [Part 2]// blog everyday in september day 23

This blog will have different phots. I have to make several parts because I took so many photos. These photos are from my sudden trip down south. I said it was sudden because it was unplanned and unexpected. One of my aunts passed and the folks down south planned the funeral LITERALLY the week after my aunt died leaving me and my grandpa little time to get down there, save up enough money, etc. These photos will be in the order that I found them in, or gathered them in. Here are some photos crossing the Miss River. This was on the way back. it was too dark to get any photos on the way there. And when I go down south in a few weeks it will be too dark then to get any photos.  Since the next time I go, it will be at midnight.  If it will be midnight maybe I can get some dawn photos! Let's put it that way. The river looks so high. it looks like it's not even that far from the bridge.  Honestly, the bridge and water does not look too far from my angle!

I'm Writing My First Book About Autism!

I have thought long and hard about writing a book about autism. I feel people already write a book about how autism affects their life. I thought. How can I stick out from the crowd? I think that I will stick out if I talk about autism and employment. It's extremely hard for us in the workplace. It's irritating hearing 'get a job.' Don't you wish people knew it's not that simple for you? Also, this book can provide more insights. Perhaps if someone picks up and read it, get a better understanding of how we struggle. That person can help us. Someone can go 'hum, the workplace does look like hell just by how this person explains it. I know a few programmers looking for testers and this will be great for these individuals.' Things need to change. It's unacceptable that so many adults with autism are unemployed/underemployed. It's unacceptable that employers cannot simply create a job that we can perform better. By writing this book this provides m